Contribution Corner Cases was Re: New Trust Copyright FAQ

2010-08-02 11:07:06
I am encountering two cases of Contributions where I am uncertain what my rights
are.

One is when material is not posted directly to an IETF list, rather a URL is
provided in an e-mail to a WG list, pointing to a Word or pdf document or a page
on a web site.  Do the contents of such a document count as a Contribution?  Can
I use the text from such a document in my own I-D?  RFC 5378 et al would suggest
not.

(One common example of this is when the document in question is a liaison from
another SDO commenting on an IETF I-D but there are others where the document
could and perhaps should be an IETF I-D but, for whatever reason, the authors
choose not to put the document forward as such)

And, corner corner case, what if the document or web page in question is updated
after the e-mail with the URL is posted to the list (but the URL is unaltered)?

Same question, can I use the text, but what if the text comes from an e-mail
posted to a list but it is an IRTF list and not an IETF one?  RFC5743, on the
IRTF stream, is silent about Contributions; RFC 5378 is verbose, but is explicit
that it relates only to the IETF (as indeed it should be, as that is what the
IPR WG resolved).  So does a post to an IRTF list (and I never see Note Wells or
anything similar on an IRTF list or at an IRTF meeting) count as a Contribution?
Can I carry the text across to an IETF (yes, IETF) I-D?

This last seems to me to be a substantive omission from RFC5743.

Tom Petch