One ad hoc experience ... was Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

2010-08-06 08:09:48
At 22:00 +0200 7/29/10, Fred Baker wrote:

If we're going to continue this avalanche of ad hoc meetings that we call
"Bar BOFs", I would recommend that the Secretariat provide a web page for
requesting them. The title of the web page should be "Poorly Planned
Meetings" or something like that.

In Anaheim I organized of such meetings.  To add as a data point...

The principle rationale for the meeting was that a sizeable mass of interested parties were at the IETF, interested in a particular set of issues that is. (Not necessarily a critical mass but enough to make this interesting.)

The reason for requesting a meeting space was primarily acoustics, I find it increasingly (as I get older) to hear in a noisy environment such as a bar or lunch room.

The outcome of the meeting was not to organize any activity in the IETF, not at this time at least. Activity did out of the meeting, but after further discussions in other venues (e.g., CENTR), it was felt that there wasn't work to bring to the IETF. (The issues crossed protocol and operations, when operators were presented with a plan to update a protocol, it was decided the plan meant too much work and the protocol was fine as is.)

The expectations of the meeting were met, and it proved quite useful. With the result being "no work for the IETF" I would have considered it a loss to have to have followed a formal process for a simple gathering.