Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat Review of draft-ietf-forces-implementation-report-02

2010-08-11 20:07:20
With regard to the major issue, in response to other comments, the offending sentence (which is, as Ben observes, wrong, has been removed. More precisely, there is now a note to the RFC Editor to remvoe the sentence. If we need to revise the document for other reasons, we will remove it ourselves. The document is being publsiehd as informational, and the underlying documents were just published as PS. We are NOT trying to move them to Draft Standard. We need to actually build stuff with it first. (But yes, the sentence claims that we meet the requirements for DS, and we don't.)

The normative statement in 2.3 is as you guessed, a repetition for context from other places. The capitalization is because that is how it appears there. I believe that is also why we have the 2119 language reference. I am inclined to leave that to the RFC Editor Production house to decide what the right way to handle it is.

If we were trying to be ready for Draft Standard, the IPSec omission would be a singificant obstacle. At this stage it is merely information for anyone who is trying to build implementations. I would really like to see an IPSec implementation, as per the RFC.
And yes, this omission is what the section 9 comment is about.

The 1.2 odd text about "This document" is a copy and paste issue. We should have copied one fewer lines. (the document author was trying to copy the complete definition. I will add this to the RFC Editor comments. I will leave other grammatical and acronym expansion issues to them, unless we need to revise the document for some substantive changes.

Yours,
Joel

Ben Campbell wrote:
I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
< http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-forces-implementation-report-02 Reviewer: Ben Campbell
Review Date: 11 Aug 2010
IESG Telechat date: 12 Aug 2010

Note: I apologize for the lateness of this review. I just came back from a
post-IETF vacation, and failed to notice the assignment until this afternoon.
Furthermore, I failed to review it at IETF LC due to an unrelated scheduling
issue. I recognize that dumping this on the authors at the last minute will
cause them inconvenience, and ask their forgiveness.

sure it supports the conclusion of progressing to draft standard. See the major
issue below for details.

Major issues:

-- Sections 3 and 5:

Section 3 says the authors attest that the protocol, model, and SCTP-TML meet
the requirements for draft standard.

Section 5 says all the "main" features have been implemented and tested, but
that not all features have been implemented by all implementations. Further inspection of
the implementation tables show that there are some features that have not been supported
by at least two implementations. The section goes on to say that all implementors have
stated the intent to implement all features.

I don't think "intent" helps much here. I assume all the non-implemented features are expected to
stay in for draft standard, and that they are somehow considered "not main". Section 5 explicitly
states why the authors believe the lack of IPSec implementations is not a problem, but does not explicitly
address the other "not-main" features.

I think that, in order to progress to draft, this report needs to describe why
the authors believe the other missing features need to stay in the draft
standard, and also why their current absence is not likely to harm
interoperability in the future. Otherwise, it seems like it would make sense to
wait until the features have been implemented and tested prior to progressing
to draft.

Minor issues:

-- Why does an implementation report need an RFC 2119 reference? It does not
seem appropriate for such a report to make normative statements.

-- section 2.3:

This paragraph appears to make normative statements. I suspect it is merely
repeating normative requirements stated in the referenced document. If so, that
would be better stated descriptively, to avoid confusion. (See previous comment
about 2119 language)

-- section 5, third paragraph:

I don't understand forces well enough to know if the lack of IPSec
implementations is an issue or not. Does forces say anything about how to use
IPSec beyond just requiring it? Is there any way of getting that wrong in a way
that breaks interoperability?

-- section 9, 2nd paragraph:

Am I correct in assuming that when you say no security features were implemented, you are
only talking about the missing IPSec feature as mentioned in section 5? If so, it might
be worth restating that here, as "no security features were implemented" sounds
rather alarming otherwise.

Nits/editorial comments:

-- section 1.2, first sentence"

Please expand on first use in body of the draft, even though you already did so
in the abstract.

-- section 1.2, 2nd to last paragraph: "This document defines the specifications for
this ForCES protocol."

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "define the specifications"

-- section 2, 2nd paragraph:

What is the antecedent for "It"?