Re: The Evils of Informational RFC's

2010-09-09 10:15:36
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Eric Burger
<eburger(_at_)standardstrack(_dot_)com> wrote:
Can we please, please, please kill Informational RFC's?  Pre-WWW, having
publicly available documentation of hard-to-get proprietary protocols was
certainly useful.  However, in today's environment of thousands of
Internet-connected publication venues, why would we possibly ask ourselves to
shoot ourselves in the foot by continuing the practice of Informational RFC
publication?

No.

This is not a problem caused by a casual misunderstanding. It is a
problem caused by one D.C. corporate lobbyist intentionally misreading
one document and then another D.C. corporate advocate insisting that
this misrepresentation was correct.

I don't think that there is anything that can be done to prevent
people from engaging in such activities other than the expectation of
damaging press if they force a rebuttal.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/