Re: [certid] Review of draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check

2010-09-09 13:38:56
On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 01:39:30AM +0200, Stefan Santesson wrote:

I actually think we made an error in 4985 and that the domain name should be
the domain that the service is authorized to represent.

RFC 4985 is ambiguous here: the definition of the name form says:

   "The DNS domain name of the domain where the specified service
    is located."

This corresponds to #2 in your example
While the description underneath the definition states:

   "The purpose of the SRVName is limited to authorization of service
    provision within a domain."

Which corresponds to #1.

I think there should be an errata correcting the definition to be:

   "The DNS domain name of a domain for which the certified subject
    is authorized to provide the identified service."

As it is now, the RFC is ambiguous.

Earlier in RFC 4985, it says:

   The SRVName, if present, MUST contain a service name and a domain
   name in the following form:

      _Service.Name

   The content of the components of this name form MUST be consistent
   with the corresponding definition of these components in an SRV RR
   according to RFC 2782

I think this was actually clear enough. The subsequent statement that
Name is "The DNS domain name of the domain where the specified service
is located." (which could mean any of a number of things) confused the
issue, and probably should not have been in the document.

--
Shumon Huque
University of Pennsylvania.