Re: Time Shifting of Internet Traffic

2010-09-14 10:55:15

On 14 Sep 2010, at 02:46, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

I am not finding the net neutrality debate according to K-Street to be very
useful or stimulating.

At the end of the day we have a limited amount of bandwidth available and we
can help matters if people co-operate where it is in their interests. Whether
or not we choose to do so does not in any way justify using the fact that I
have limited choices in bandwidth provider to ensure that my options for
content and/or VOIP telephone service are similarly limited.

One area that might be fruitful for cooperation is in bulk time shifting of
traffic. I am not so much talking about packet level prioritization here. I
am thinking more of when I choose to back up my systems over the net.

The way I look at it, the net is a bit like the power grid in that there is
an opportunity to reduce capacity requirements by shifting tasks from peak to
off-peak. In particular I have several RAID arrays that I would like to back
up with a total of something like 2Tb of data.

I know of ISPs in the UK that have seen success by building their Broadband
packages around an incentive to do exactly that.

Two models I have seen are:
1) Package X has a transfer cap of Y GB/month but only transfers between 08:00
and 24:00 count towards the cap.

2) Package X has traffic shaping applied where different protocols are shaped
to different maximum throughputs (per customer) depending on protocol & time of
day. One then selects the package that provides the application performance one
wants for the applications one uses. See
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml for an
example.

Ben