Re: [TLS] [certid] review of draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check-09

2010-09-23 13:17:23
Marsh Ray wrote:

Martin Rex wrote:

Thinking about it, I feel slightly uneasy about some redirects, such as
https://gmail.com  ->  301 ->   https://mail.google.com/mail

I think these should never go without a warning.

That bugs me too. Lots of sites do it though, usually with Javascript.

If my banks online-banking portal (https://www.<mybank>.de)
would suddently redirect me to https://www.<mybank>.com before
asking me for credentials and transaction authorization codes,
that would be a real security problem, because www.<mybank>.com
is not leased by my bank (it is apparently not currently leased to anyone)

A hacker that breaks into a web-site in order to do trap
victims

The site is now 100% (to use the technical term) "pwned".

It's not possible for a network security protocol to survive the
compromise of one of the endpoints. We can no longer reason about Alice
and Bob if Bob is allowed to be under the hypnotic control of Eve.

True.   I used the wrong words in what I was trying to say.

There is definitely little that you can do about a full compromise of
the real server.

But blindly trusting browsers may easily turn seemingly small security
vulnerability (every XSS, CSRF, content upload), that enables diverting
a victim to the attackers own server seamlessly, close to equivalent to
a full compromise of the real server for the purpose of capturing
sensible or confidential information from the victim.

-Martin