Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

2010-09-30 22:14:54
At 09:59 PM 9/30/2010, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Since you asked, I'd like to see this move forward as quickly
as possible.

Just one practical issue seems to be hanging. The draft says:
 This document makes no change to the current STD practice; however,
 this topic deserves further discussion by the whole community.

Fair enough. But what happens to the existing STD numbers
on the transition day?

- Do existing full Standards keep their existing STD number as they
are renamed Internet Standard? (I suggest: yes.)

- Do existing Draft Standards acquire an STD number as they are
renamed Internet Standard? (Pragmatically, I suggest no, unless
they already obsolete or update an existing STD.)

Brian

I'm not sure I agree on your second point (specifically on your position of "no").

DSs have achieved a demonstrable hurdle that PS couldn't - by definition - by achieving independent interoperability. TO group DSs back with PSs is unfair and IMO, rather inappropriate.

Said another way, when looking at the current PS, DS and FS within the standards track - what sufficiently differentiates these 3 into two groups?

I would argue "provable interoperability" is that differentiation, which is why I wouldn't back-step DSs into the category that PSs will move into. I would progress them into where FSs are going, i.e., the Internet Standard category.

of course, other opinions may think otherwise...

James

Regards
   Brian Carpenter