Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

2010-10-26 09:32:46

On 10/26/2010 3:11 AM, Eric Burger wrote:
What I*am*  hoping is that with two, clearly defined maturity levels, we can

This seems to be the core idea driving support for this specification.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the proposed change that will affect this
goal.

The idea seems to be that "simplifying" the later part of the labeling model will somehow cause those controlling production of an initial version of a spec to get it produced more quickly.

It's a slightly charming idea, but it has no pragmatic, behavioral basis.

What ought to worry us about the process of adopting this change is the unwillingness to deal with questions and criticisms of it carefully. Instead concerns have largely been ignored.

Rough consensus is important, but so is the efficacy of a spec.

We used to take "it won't work" statements seriously.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking