Re: [vmeet] Everybody wants it but nobody does it....

2010-11-11 19:42:05

On Nov 11, 2010, at 7:27 PM, Marc Manthey wrote:

welcome friends of remote partizipating and to all IETF members in bejing

whats new in the remote partizipants / multiconferencing world  ?

Google aquired marratech a few years ago  [ 1 ] , cisco aquired  webex , [ 2
] paltalk aquired camfrog [ 3 ]
Adobe unveils Connect 8 Web and videconferencing tool set  [ 4 ],  Xcast is
there but very quiet [ 5 ]
VP8 a fantastic codec is there,  its opensource  [ 6 ]  Nokia bought
Trolltech and its opensource now [ 7 ]

#Ipv6 is on the way, will there be ipv6 multicast ?

There has always been ipv6 multicast.

Who wants to pay 70.000 $ per year for webex, who wants to pay 40.000 $ per
year for a so called "opensource" multiconferencing like DIMDIM ?

Who wants to pay 1295 $ per month for a paltalk room ?

So there is  still no "cool"  functioning opensource multi - conferencing out
there for the masses after 10 years . !

We´ve made a little feature list about what we think , what might be  "cool".

This is a huge project, and it is not entirely clear to me whether this is
appropriate for the IETF.

The first thing you have to decide is whether this is a SIP based project or a
H.323 based project. SIP is more appropriate
for the IETF. There are various H.323 open source projects out there, including
GnuGK, H323Plus and XMeeting.

Feel free to edit the document without registration and tell us what you
think is necessary and required to make it a step ahead
http://on.let.de/aWfo0M

The IETF primarily communicates by Internet-drafts. Detailed work of this sort
also shouldn't be done on the general IETF list.

You might want to consider having a bar-BOF on this subject at the Prague IETF.

Regards
Marshall

I am looking forward for some comments and insights about why  only cisco/
polycom/ tandberg / radvision tells us that
" Video/ multiconferencing  at home " will be the next BIG thing.

regards

and warm greetings from germany

Marc Manthey

[ 1 ]
http://techcrunch.com/2007/04/20/google-acquires-marratech-gets-into-webex-territory/
[ 2 ]  http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2007/corp_031507b.html
[ 3 ]
http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Paltalk-Acquires-Video-Chat-Provider-Camfrog-1338260.htm
[ 4 ]
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9194239/Adobe_unveils_Connect_8_Web_and_videconferencing_tool_set?taxonomyId=16
[ 5 ] http://www.xcast.jp/
[ 6 ]  http://www.webmproject.org/
[ 7 ]
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2008/01/nokia-buys-trolltech-will-become-a-patron-of-kde.ars

--
Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97