Re: Last Call: <draft-turner-md5-seccon-update-07.txt> (Updated Security Considerations for the MD5 Message-Digest and the HMAC-MD5 Algorithms) to Informational RFC

2010-12-03 14:18:32
Sean,

thanks for your reply.

As you suggest, that is too many dots for people to connect.

I also take issue with RFC4270's claim that:

   The Internet protocol community needs to
   migrate in an orderly manner away from SHA-1 and MD5 -- especially
   MD5 -- and toward more secure hash algorithms.

which is rather broad, and entirely without the context and qualifiers we're
discussing. RFC4270 was not written for a general audience, but for a security
audience. The Internet _security protocol_ community may well need to migrate
from these for certain uses (despite there not yet being obvious things to move
_to_), but RFC4270 and your draft's sum take-away message that MD5BADDONOTUSE
overstates the case.

I see that RFC4270 was published in November 2005, which predates (and possibly
even caused) the MD5-always-bad-don't-use-it-at-all-ever security kerfluffles
that Wes and I have run into by several years. The fact that MD5 is being
marked DEPRECATED by your draft, coupled by this sentence in RFC4270, _will_
lead to security types using it as justification to remove MD5 from, well,
everywhere. Despite the fact that, as you say, it's still good for five of
seven uses, including integrity protection (which gets a mere sentence in 4270
as the last of the seven - it's imo an area that is often neglected in protocol
design). I hope you can see how your 'good for five of seven' assessment
doesn't match with the messages in DEPRECATED and the quote above.

We need some clear language setting the boundaries for areas of concern where
MD5 should not be used, and areas where it is still considered highly useful -
language that is unambiguous to both security and non-security experts.
Repeating the  bullet list of the seven uses, if you like, and providing a
short summary of why MD5 is and is not currently considered useful in each case.

RFCs are not written solely for an audience competent in security matters, and
the security audience is not always as competent as it likes to believe. Some
explicit text to join the dots for the readers would be helpful.

thanks,

L.

is not claiming any particular expertise in security.