Re: I-D Action:draft-yevstifeyev-abnf-separated-lists-01.txt

2010-12-06 18:07:38
I found several problems with this draft.

In overview, the reason that we removed the #rule from ABNF was that it was
very difficult to specify for a general case. This draft has the same
problem.

The production given does not actually produce the desired results.

  n^(a)m element = ( n(*LWS element) *o(*LWS a *LWS element))

If the usage is:

    5^(",")10 "abc"

it would allow something like:

    abc abc abc abc abc abc , abc

not:

    abc, abc, abc, abc, abc, abc, abd

which was probably intended.

-----

The production:

  a              = VCHAR / SP / HT / <any other separator>

does not seem to address the possibility of multi-character separators very
clearly. What if I want to define a list like:

    abc and def and ghi and jkl

can I use:

    ^(" and ")ident

-----

I also do not believe that *FWS belongs in such a general rule and should
rather be defined by the actual usage. E.g.:

    5^(*FWS "," *FWS)10 "abc"

-----

Typo: 2.1 Examples, fourth example should be: ^("-")element

--
Bill McQuillan <McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>