Re: Old transport-layer protocols to Historic?

2011-01-11 09:15:36
11.01.2011 13:36, t.petch wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock"<bidulock(_at_)openss7(_dot_)org>
To: "Mykyta Yevstifeyev"<evnikita2(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Cc: "Bob Hinden"<bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>;<tsvwg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>;
"IETF Discussion"
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 9:06 AM

Mykyta,

RDP is still in use (I know of companies using it).  It is
used heavily as a transport for a "popular brand" of NAS for
dial access call control and was a precursor to MEGACO/H.248.
RDP was the initial transport used for gateway control (such
as SGCP) until SCTP was developed.  Many commercial gateways
still support these older pre-standard (to MEGACO) control
protocols.  Some older devices still provisioned in the network
only support the older protocols.

Yah, I know it was EXPERIMENTAL, but we had nothing before SCTP
that would fit the bill.  Its limitations was one of the driving
forces behind developing SCTP.  One of the original protocol
attempts abandonned before SCTP was based on RDP.

Please leave RDP alone.

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:21:38 +0200
"I personally think there is no useful way in moving NETBLT spec to
historic, as well as RDP. I consider that useful only for IRTP. Do you
think there is still a need in such protocol? what has it been made
for?

Mykyta."

which sounds like consensus on NETBLT and RDP.
Tom,

But not IRTP. I was initially, and I am now strongly concerned that this protocols is not useful anyway.

Mykyta
Tom Petch

--brian

--