Re: Use of "unassigned" in IANA registries

2011-01-18 08:02:38
Hi,

On 2011-1-18, at 15:51, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
Using a term other than "unassigned" might prevent some instances of the
latter.

I don't see how changing the name is going to affect behavior for the
positive here. If you do succeed in confusing people as to which numbers are
unassigned and which are not it is going to increase the risk of a collision.

huh? The purpose here is to make it *clearer* that assignment is needed.

If five people are experimenting with TCP options and this is not causing
collisions, what is the problem?

Have you read my original email? It *is* going to cause collisions.

Lars