Last Call: <draft-holsten-about-uri-scheme-06.txt> (The 'about' URI scheme) to Proposed Standard

2011-01-24 10:09:59
There seem to be two differences between what the draft specifies right now and what Gecko, at least, does:

1) Section 5.3 says:

   Applications SHOULD resolve unrecognized "about" URIs in the
   same way as "about:blank".

Gecko treats unknown about:* as unparseable URIs, and is not likely to change that behavior. While that's allowed by the SHOULD, it's not clear to me why this is a SHOULD as opposed to a MAY, nor is it clear why this is present at all. In particular, as specified this will cause situations where an empty resource is silently returned instead of a failure that the consumer can notice (e.g. in the DOM case via error event handlers and the like).

2)  Section 6 says:

  For example, "about:blank", "about:blan%6B" and "about:blan%6b"
  are equivalent

In Gecko they are not. The string after ':' is treated as a literal string; when looking up a way to handle the URI the second and third URIs above are treated as unparseable by Gecko in its default configuration. Changing this has some security implications that would require careful auditing of not only Gecko code but some specifications (e.g. HTML5 defines certain special-case security behavior for about:blank that's not obviously safe to apply to the other strings above).

The same section says:

  Similarly, "about:blank%3F" is not equivalent to "about:blank?".

which I think is trying to explain by example that only unreserved characters need to be unescaped. But that assumes an implementation of RFC 3986 which may or may not be the case in web browsers (and is NOT the case in Gecko, for example, for various web-compatibility reasons). Unless there are very strong reasons for it, I would recommend that no normalization is performed on about: URIs, period.

-Boris