Re: Request for Review - draft-yevstifeyev-genarea-historic-01

2011-01-31 00:14:12
Doug, all,

30.01.2011 20:51, Doug Ewell wrote:
Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
>> I'd like to see some kind of guideline that the RFC should not be considered obsolete solely because of security or performance concerns in some particular, specific context. For example, the fact that vanilla FTP is not sufficiently secure for use in some applications where high security is paramount is not a rationale for deprecating FTP in all applications.
>
> In the case I mentioned as c the key words are 'is not possible or is not advised to be used in the Internet' but not what you mentioned. The document says “is not advised to be used in the Internet because of its security issues, impact on its performance or any other reason.” (Do you agree that the document says that?) My point is that, because security or performance issues in one context do not necessarily imply security or performance issues in all contexts, they should not by themselves (or together with the 7-year criterion) be sufficient to trigger deprecation.
I've recently thought on how to formulate this criterion. My most current thoughts are the following:

c. The RFC describes the technology that is not possible to be used
     in the current Internet because of its technical characteristics or
     possible problems with its implementation.

However this is not a final variant - any other proposals are welcome.
> The phrase 'or any other reason' is put because there is no possibility to put the exhaustive list of such purposes. Anyway, what would you like to propose here? I don’t have exact replacement wording. “Any other reason” could permit me to propose deprecation or “historicization” of a protocol because I don’t like the guy who created it, or because my company is promoting a rival protocol.
Agreed here.  See what I think below.

---------

And now a few questions for discussion:

1)  Should historicizing Informational RFCs be allowed?

My proposal is to allow this only if they describe the protocol (see Section 4.2.2 of RFC 2026) with the authors' approval REQUIRED.

2) Definition of obsolete RFCs are still unclear. The most recent what I have is:

The RFC SHALL be considered to be obsolete if it meets the following
   criteria:

     a. It has been publicly available for at least 7 years;

     b. During this period of time the technology, described in this RFC
     has not been seen used in the Internet; or

     c. The RFC describes the technology that is not possible to be used
     in the current Internet because of its technical characteristics or
     possible problems with its implementation.

Any proposals on this?

3)  Procedures on Experimental RFCs to Historic.

What I have in my working version is different from what is in -01 version. See below:

3.2.3. Experimental RFCs

   Procedures for historicizing Experimental RFCs depend on their origin
   and the way it is being historicized with.

3.2.3.1. Separate Historicizing Document

   The procedures described in this section apply to the case, mentioned
   as 'b' at the beginning of Section 3.2 (separate historicizing
   document).

   If the Experimental RFCs has been processed on IETF stream [RFC4844],
   'IETF Consensus' [RFC5226] is REQUIRED to historicize it.

   If the Experimental RFCs has been processed on IAB stream [RFC4844],
   'IETF Consensus' [RFC5226] and IAB Chair approval is REQUIRED to
   historicize it.

   If the Experimental RFCs has been processed on IRTF stream [RFC4844],
   'IETF Consensus' [RFC5226] and IRTF Chair approval is REQUIRED to
   historicize it.

   If the Experimental RFCs has been processed on Independent
   Submissions stream [RFC4844], 'IETF Consensus' [RFC5226] and authors'
   approval is REQUIRED to historicize it.  In essential cases the
   approval of the director of the area the historicized document is
   considered to be related to MAY be used instead the authors' one.

   In the cases described above IESG is responsible for recording their
   approval.

3.2.3.2. Superseding Document Historicizes the Superseded One

   The procedures described in this section apply to the case, mentioned
   as 'a' at the beginning of Section 3.2 (superseding document
   historicizes the superseded one).

   The superseding document that is being processed on the same stream
   [RFC4844] as the superseded one MAY move it to Historic without any
   special procedures; a simple mention of such action is therefore
   REQUIRED in superseding document.

   If the superseding document is being processed on the stream,
   different from that of superseded one, the approval of corresponding
   party is REQUIRED.  Section 3.2.3.1 describes some cases that apply
   this one as well (for IAB-, IETF-, and Independent Submissions
   streams [RFC4844]).  Historicizing IETF-stream documents by non-IETF-
   stream ones SHALL be made following usual procedures for RFCs of such
   stream with IETF Chair approval REQUIRED.

4) Are there any thoughts on other consideration connected with historic docs.?

Except referencing, there might be appropriate to discuss what should be done with IANA registries defined by Historic RFCs. Anything else?

All the best,
Mykyta Yevstifeyev
--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org