Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-09.txt> (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Procedures for the Management of the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry) to BCP

2011-02-01 11:20:00

So to summarize what you are saying, ports are allocated based on an arbitrary
view of the expert review. When this person will say yes or no too can't be
described and will change over time.

If that's how it works, there is not even any grounds for appeal of any given
decision. You can't even use precedence as an argument. My view was the IESG
has been trying to move to having much more concrete advice for registries that
required expert review. If you agree that is about the right summary, then I'm
pretty sure I can find plenty of other people that would agree with me that
this is not OK. I'm not a fan of the WG could not get consensus on if we should
allow A or not so we are just going to let the expert review do whatever they
want. If the IETF could not come to consensus on if X  or Y were reasons to
deny a registration, then I don't think the expert review should be able to
deny a registration due to X or Y.