Re: Last Call: <draft-eggert-tcpm-historicize-00.txt> (Moving the Undeployed TCP Extensions RFC1072, RFC1106, RFC1110, RFC1145, RFC1146, RFC1263, RFC1379, RFC1644 and RFC1693 to Historic Status) to Informational RFC

2011-02-03 09:03:28
Hello all,

While I fully agree with what this document proposes. This might be an editorial comment but I 've noticed that RFC 1072 is not mentioned to be made Historic despite the option specified by it is made obsolete. What is more, referencing all the documents made obsolete normatively is OK? Here I suggest only RFC 4614 to be mentioned in this way.

However I'd like to raise some questions not directly connected to this document. I wonder why those who said a few weeks ago that historicizing some documents in the similar situation is not appropriate do not object now. The arguments of these folks were that RFC 2026 sets the criteria for Historic status as 'replaced by other doc' and did not consider 'being deprecated' (what exactly we have in the current case) as weighty reason for historicizing document.

Moreover, there are no clear procedures for moving documents to Historic. So everybody who wants to propose to move some RFC to Historic must think out what procedures should be used or find them out in the most recent documents.

Up to this day there are neither any clear definition of Historic RFC status nor procedures for historicizing RFCs. Should this continue?

Mykyta Yevstifeyev