Re: Review of draft-arkko-dual-stack-extra-lite-03

2011-02-04 05:18:02
Tina,

Thank you for your review.

This document proposed using layer 2 identifier to make address translation.

Strictly speaking, we propose linking NAT bindings to an interface. An interface may be associated with layer 2 identifiers or it may be a tunnel with layer 3 identifiers.

Is this application scenario compatible with the existing technologies,
e.g., DS-Lite, GI DS-Lite and 6RD?

DS-Lite is one application of the general principle outlined in our draft.

Point-to-point link usually terminates at BRAS. If BRAS and AFTR is not
co-located, there still needs tunnels in the layer 3 network.

That's right.

In this case, if the IP addresses allocated are overlapped, it will need
some identifiers to identify the host as described in GI DS-Lite document. So another question for clarification: does this document only care about the layer 2 network regardless of what happens in layer 3 network?

The draft talks about the general case of an interface, and it notes that interfaces may, for instance, be point-to-point links or tunnels. It is not our intent to enumerate all possible identifier types.

Jari