My comments to the press about OAM for MPLS

2011-03-02 09:15:35
I want the whole community to be aware of the comments that I made to the press
over the past few days.  Last Friday, the ITU-T Study Group 15 decided to move
forward with an OAM solution that is incompatible with the work being done in
the IETF MPLS WG.  This is a breach of the agreement reached by the IETF and
the ITU-T, which is published in RFC 5317.

The ITU-T press release about their action is here:
  http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2011/03.aspx

On behalf of the IETF, ISOC helped get the word out:
  http://isoc.org/wp/newsletter/?p=3287

The press is starting to cover the story:
  http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/ietf-slams-itu-standards-vote-22392
  http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=8B71BD58-1A64-6A71-CE24B4B4EB59B200

And, the ITU-T made a second announcement today:

http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/newslog/Experts+Cast+Doubt+On+Jeopardize+Internet+Statement.aspx

I expect that there will be more press coverage of this unfortunate situation.

Thanks,
  Russ