Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

2011-03-14 20:47:57
There seems to be a minor but important inconsistency which leaves us still not clearly addressing the interoperability issues.

The commentary text on the second standards level includes, when commenting on the removal of the requirement for interoperability testing reports:
   subsumed by the requirement for
   actual deployment and use of independent and interoperable
   implementations.

While not perfect (nothing is), such a requirement would probably leave me satisfied. However, there is no requirement in general for multiple independent implementations. There is a requirement for multiple implementations and successful operational experience. There is only a requirement for independent implementations relative to patented or otherwise controlled technologies. And even that requirement does not say anything about any interoperability of those independent implementations.

Yours,
Joel