Re: XKCD - Nanobots

2011-03-15 17:20:51
Have you considered the possibility that you might be over-analyzing the
joke here?

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Michael Richardson
<mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>wrote:

"Bob" == Bob Hinden <bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:
   >> I'm sorry, but how could this *not* be posted to the IETF list?
   >>
   >> <http://xkcd.com/865/>

    Bob> I did a rough calculation and think they would have not run out
   Bob> of IPv6 addresses :-)

   Bob> I assumed a nanobot was 1 x 10^-6 M^2 and the surface of the
   Bob> earth was 5.1 x 10^11 M^2 (from Wikipedia).  This means it
   Bob> would take 5.1 x 10^17 nanobots to cover the earth.  The IPv6
   Bob> address space is 3.4 x 10^38.  Of course, I assumed only one
   Bob> layer deep.

Sorry for the late followup.

My reading of the strip was that the each colony of nanobots had to
exist in a single /64 subnet.  They would naturally use RPL and probably
6lowpan to communicate.  I don't think that having consumed a part of
the earth that the nanobot dies, it just becomes part of the routing
layer.

--
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |
 firewalls  [

Website: http://hallambaker.com/