Re: [ietf-dkim] MLM and C14N

2011-05-16 07:25:19
Barry Leiba wrote:

A real live LIST organism (stream) is adding an extra line (two bytes,
<CR><LF>) after the header and before the body probably all its life

It's an outlier, off in the weeds.  This is not a common situation all
around the Internet.  And in any case, the MLM document isn't the
place to define a new algorithm.

Adding a new algorithm was not the main suggestion. I agree it would be a unwelcome kludge and would be a more general DKIM C14N issue.

But as a MLM vendor/developer, noting the existence of some MLM behaving with the extra line above issue is useful and I believe if we wish MLM vendors/developers to fix any of their edge case "bugs," it would very useful and informative to have this DKIM/MLM incompatibility quark documented.

IMO, not documented it keeps with the status quo - no fixes, no one learns, no synergism is address the MLM/DKIM conflict. As a result, originating DKIM signed messages submitted to a non-DKIM aware mailing list with no changes to the message content distribution except for the extra line noted above will continue to yield invalid signatures at down link members DKIM receivers. I believe that "insight" if added to the MLM I-D would be very informative to readers of the document which would include MLM developer considering all the DKIM incompatibility issues.

--
Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com