Re: [homegate] HOMENET working group proposal

2011-07-01 15:14:35
On 07/01/2011 13:03, Kenneth Voort wrote:
I would also add that future IPv6 capable devices should allow end users to
reach the IPv6 Internet
from an IPv4-only provider through some means, perhaps tunneling, with no or
minimal administrator
intervention. I can see many providers remaining IPv4-only long into the future.

This is an area that we very clearly do not need to get involved in because it will solve itself due to market forces. Right now there is no IPv6-only content that anyone cares about. When that changes, users will start demanding that their provider give them access to it, or vote with their feet.

That said, I don't see IPv6-only content happening any time in the next 5 years, at least. Content providers do not want to cut themselves off from 99.9% of their potential user base.

What's going to encourage IPv6 adoption on the content side are things like smart phones that use it natively (which is already happening). Content providers will see (and many are already seeing) that it is in their own best interest to get their content up on IPv6.

The ISP side will be dragged kicking and screaming into the IPv6 world in the next couple of years as the IPv4 addresses really do dry up, and the cost of obtaining more on the gray market begins to exceed the cost of deploying IPv6. And of course, some just won't make the transition, and will ultimately fail. C'est la vie.

To summarize my main point once again, there is nothing for the IETF to do here, the problem will take care of itself.

Doug

                        -- OK Go