RE: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic

2011-07-02 22:37:22
Randy,

You have three points that deserve to be addressed. These are:

1) "as measured on the real internet, not the ietf bar, 6to4 sucks caterpillar
snot"
2) "perhaps that minority was also vocal in the back room"
3) "yes, but that will be a year from now.  in the ietf, delay is one form of
death"

1) While not stated so colorfully, draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-advisory made this
point. It has been approved for publication.
2) While there was no back-room activity, an appeal had been filed at the WG
level. Since WG consensus was stronger than IETF consensus, it is reasonable to
assume that the appeal would be escalated to the IESG level if it was not
approved at the WG level. So, any way you look at it, there would be delays.
3) The new document may not take a year to publish. Since it is a short draft,
it could be produced in a few days. Once it is produced, we could immediately
initiate a WG last call and an IETF last call immediately after that. So, we
might be talking about a six-week delay.

Now, I have a question for you, Lorenzo and Doug. If our goal is to take 6-to-4
off of the Internet, does not disabling it by default solve most of the
problem? AFAIKS, very few users would enable it and service providers would not
be economically incented to support 6-to-4 relay routers.

Comments?

                                    Ron