R: [mpls] R: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-cc-cv-rdi-05.txt> (Proactive Connectivity Verification, Continuity Check and Remote Defect indication for MPLS Transport Profile) to Proposed Standard

2011-07-14 11:01:25
It looks like this draft does not define a "single" solution for CC, CV and RDI
function

----Messaggio originale----
Da: alessandro(_dot_)dalessandro(_at_)telecomitalia(_dot_)it
Data: 13-lug-2011 15.02
A: "IETF-Announce"<ietf-announce(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: "mpls(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org"<mpls(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>,
"ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org"<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Ogg: [mpls] R: Last Call:      &lt;draft-ietf-mpls-tp-cc-cv-rdi-05.txt&gt;
(Proactive Connectivity Verification, Continuity Check and Remote Defect
indication for  MPLS    Transport       Profile) to Proposed Standard

Dear all,
I regret to say I have the same concerns expressed by Rui and Erminio about
the procedure adopted for this document that has brought so many discussions.
Anyway, probably because of the lack of a reasonable time (in my opinion) for
discussions about the previous document version (-04) I have the following
comments on this version:

1. it is not clear the BFD's scope
       Sect. 1: PW, LSP, SPME
       Sect. 1: LSP
       Sect 3: LSP
       Sect 3.1:LSP, PW
       Sect 3.3: PW, LSP, SPME, Section
       Sect 3.7: LSP

2. encapsulation
       Sect 1: supported encapsulation GAL/GACh, VCCV, UDP/IP: can be
expressed a preference (MUST/MAY) for Transport Profile applications for
interoperability issues? I would avoid single vendor networks coming from too
many options.

3. diagnostic code 5
       Could you clarify what is the BFD state machine behavior
receiving/transmitting a Diagn Code=5

4. detection time
       Sect 3.2: I expect it is that one defined in RFC5884 i.e. detect Mult
x greater (bfd.requiredminrxinterval, last received desired min tx interval).
What "interval" means is not clear

5. session periodicity
       Sec 3.3 Should be clarified being not defined in RFC5880

6. detection of loss of continuity
       Sect 3.3 can CV packet  sent on the wire replace CC packet (for LOC
purpose on the far end)?

7. CV vs CC packets
       Sect 3.6 Generally speaking, how should the received CV packet's
fields be managed with respect of the BFD state machine/BFD states? (beyond
what is specified in such paragraph limited to P/F and Sta).

8. encoding
       Sect 3.5: could you clarify what " A BFD session will only use one
encoding of the Source ID TLV" means?

9. editorial
       Source ID TLV, MEP source ID TLV, Source MEP TLV should be aligned

10. terminology
       Wrt sect 3.6 I would ask a clarification about the terminology where
I found
       a- "A BFD session corresponds to a CC and proactive CV OAM instance"
       b- " A BFD session is enabled when the CC and proactive CV
functionality is enabled"
       c- " When the CC and proactive CV functionality is disabled ..., the
BFD session transitions to the ADMIN DOWN State and the BFD session ends"
               In the ADMIN DOWN state I understood I can have BFD control
packet exchange between the end points. Is it consistent with CC/CV
functionality disabled?
11. code points
       Code points are not specified in section 3.1 as stated

12. BFD fixed rate
       Sect 3.7 " This rate is a fixed value common for both directions of
MEG for the lifetime of the MEG". Is this statement implying that MEG must be
destroyed to be able to change the BFD rate? Should not be limited to the BFD
session lifetime (to be clarified what it means... because moving to ADMIN DOWN
state both ends could not be enough)

13. two BFD modes
       Sect 3.7 " Two independent BFD sessions are used for independent
operation". In my opinion, this approach still remain a big limitation in BFD
usage.
       Is it implementation specific the way the two ends distinguish
between the two BFD modes?

14. bfd.RemoteDiscr
       Sect 3.7 " In coordinated mode, an implementation SHOULD NOT reset
bfd.RemoteDiscr until it is exiting the DOWN state"
       Is it a deviation from BFD as specified in RFC 5880? If it is, could
you clarified the reason for that?

15. bfd.RemoteDiscr
       Sect 3.7 Could you clarify the reasons behind different treatments
for bfd.RemoteDiscr in coordinated mode and independent mode?

16. overall operation
       Sect 3.7 "Overall operation is as specified in [4] and augmented for
MPLS in[8]"
       Are you sure that it can be generalized in that way? Should not be
the case to specify more in details what applies and what do not apply?

17. IP-based BFD
       Sect 3.1  IP-based BFD can carry out CV functionality only if IP SA
is public

18. CV during transient states
       Sect 3.2 for clarification: at start-up, CC are sent one per second.
CV are sent in addition to CC (so we have two BFD packets per second)?

19. misconnections
       Sect 3.7.3 sect 3.7.3 states a misconnection bring BFD session to
DOWN whilst it is not clear if sect 3.7.5 state that misconnection do not
impact on BFD state transition

20. encapsulation modes
       Sect 4: if I understood well, there are 4 encapusulations and modes
for BFD: UDP/IP/LSP; CC mode in G-ACh; UPD/IP in G-ACh e CC/CV mode in G-ACh.
       Do all of them satisfy transport requirements?
       I understand they are not interoperable (as well as the two BFD mode
for the same CC/CV in G-Ach encapsulation). Is it correct?

Best regards,
Alessandro

Telecom Italia
Alessandro D'Alessandro