Preliminary Agenda: IRTF Open Meeting at IETF-81

2011-07-21 16:35:20

*PRELIMINARY* Agenda
IRTF Open Meeting
Quebec City, Canada
July 11, 2011, 9:00 - 11:30 (tentative)

Will be uploaded to the datatracker as soon as I have access rights.
Slot lengths below indicate presentation+discussion time.

State of the IRTF
        Lars Eggert
        10+5 min

Applied Networking Prize (ANRP) Awards
        2x 20+10 min

        *** Beichuan Zhang *** for research into “green” traffic engineering:
        GreenTE: Power-Aware Traffic Engineering. Mingui Zhang,
        Cheng Yi, Bin Liu and Beichuan Zhang. Proc. IEEE International
        Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP), pp. 21–30, October 2010.

        Abstract: Given the high path redundancy and low link
        utilization in today's large networks, one may route traffic
        using fewer number of links so that other links can go sleep
        to conserve energy. In this work we design a traffic engineering
        mechanism that maximizes the number of links to sleep under
        certain performance constraints such as link utilization and packet
        delay. Using network topologies and traffic data from several
        wide-area networks, our evaluation demonstrates that GreenTE is
        both feasible and beneficial.

        *** Mattia Rossi *** for research into reducing BGP traffic:

        A Technique for Reducing BGP Update Announcements through Path
        Exploration Damping. Geoff Huston, Mattia Rossi and Grenville
        Armitage. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC),
        Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 1271–1286, October 2010.

        Abstract: Path Exploration Damping is intended as a replacement
        for MRAI and RFD, the two main mechanisms used in BGP that aim
        at a reduction of BGP update churn. This talk explains the
        motivation behind PED, outlines the algorithm and provides
        insight into experimental results.

Presentation & discussion of proposals for new IRTF research groups

        Network Complexity
        Michael Beringer
        http://networkcomplexity.org/
        10+10 min