Re: [hybi] Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard

2011-07-24 16:55:29
On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 01:47:36PM +0200, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
2011/7/24 Willy Tarreau <w(_at_)1wt(_dot_)eu>:
No I'm not saying that because I don't understand what you mean here.
What I'm saying is that browsers try to reuse existing connections to
host:port. So if you want to connect to ws://example.com/foo/bar and
the browser already has a connection to example.com:80 because of a
previous HTTP request to that host, it's much advantageous for it to
reuse that existing connection.

Making an additional DNS request and a connection come with a cost.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ibc-websocket-dns-srv-02#section-5.2

You still need the DNS request : the client does an A/AAAA request for
the HTTP host, then if you ask it to use an SRV record for the WS connection,
it must perform that request too, even if it's to conclude that it can reuse
the idle connection.

Regards,
Willy