Re: RFC 3951 source code usage situation just got murkier

2011-09-07 11:32:22
On 09/07/2011 11:20 AM, George Willingmyre wrote:
See
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/search/?option=rfc_search&rfc_search=3951
for page of Global IP Sound's Statement About IPR Claimed in
draft-ietf-avt-ilbc-codec
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/319/ and for Global IP Sound AB's
Patent Statement pertaining to draft-andersen-ilbc-00.txt
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/64/

Kevin, are you stating these assurances are no longer valid?

I am not a lawyer, so I would not make such a claim. What I am saying is that the mechanism for obtaining the licenses offered via those disclosures, which has been available for many years and used by probably thousands of parties, is no longer available. In addition, there does not appear to be a replacement mechanism available. There is a *similar* license offered via the WebRTC site, but it is very clear that it only applies to the WebRTC implementation, not the one in the RFC (or any others).

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Jabber: kfleming(_at_)digium(_dot_)com | SIP: kpfleming(_at_)digium(_dot_)com |