Re: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-06

2011-09-09 10:05:42
Hi,

thanks, Ben. We will incorporate most of your suggestions in the next revision.
That said:

On 2011-9-8, at 0:22, Ben Campbell wrote:
-- Section 6 suggests side meetings should be (somehow "informally") covered
by NOTE WELL. I think this is a very dangerous suggestion. The rest of the
document suggests that a side meeting has no official standing. That seems to
me to mean it's no different than a group of people who coincidentally
participate in the IETF having a dinner or bar meeting on any subject at any
time. Or a hallway conversation, for that matter. By the logic of this
section, I can't really figure out how "informal" a meeting would need to be
before it no longer fell under NOTE WELL.

In an informal meeting, the participants should be able to follow any IPR
policy they like. I can even imagine an informal meeting covered by an NDA,
where the participants want to decide if they want to have further
discussions of a subject under IETSF IPR rules or not.

I think the best we can hope to do is suggest that side meeting organizers
and participants be explicit with their expectations on IPR and
confidentiality, so there is less chance for down-stream surprises. If we
want something stronger than that, then we really need to create a new
category of "official" meeting.

We actually ran this question past the IETF legal counsel before adding that
section to the document. It was his stated opinion that the Note Well applies.
I therefore don't see what we could do here.

Lars