Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-dns-srv-namespace-08.txt> (Using DNS SRV to

2011-09-13 13:04:27

On 9/13/2011 1:12 AM, t.petch wrote:
I believe that this is the first Last Call since RFC6335 was published to
request an entry in the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry
and so a chance to understand how the RFC works in practice.

From the proforma in s.8.1.1., I was expecting to see something similar to the
proforma used for a request for a URI (RFC4395) or for a media type, and I
don't; in fact, I don't see any clear request, rather an implication that a
request is being made for a service name (of nfs4, not one that is currently
registered).

Is the information in this I-D adequate (for IANA and other interested parties)?
Should the information be presented as in RFC6335?

Hi, all,

It's always more useful to present the information as indicated in RFC 6335 within the document if that's what generates the request (as part of document processing).

A separate request can be made as well. Given this might be for an SRV name only (as per the recent posts), that need not be held up on the status of the current doc - and could thus be requested now by the authors.

Joe