RE: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-03.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Transition Space) to Informational RFC

2011-09-26 08:59:33
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Keith Moore
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 10:04 PM
To: Cameron Byrne
Cc: IETF Discussion
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-03.txt>
(IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Transition Space) to Informational RFC

Furthermore, I find this draft's statements about "we are trying real hard to
deploy ipv6" as not convincing... we are 10 years in on v6, no? I only
seriously deployed ipv6 when it was clear the business had to deploy ipv6....
there were no other choices.

WEG] I really don't think it's useful to discuss penetration of "serious" IPv6
deployment based on absolute timescale for precisely that reason - until
there's a business reason, being visionary or leaders in the space doesn't
convince enough money to be shaken loose for that particular budget cycle or
planning window. I think it's more useful to look at the progress made since
IANA exhaust actually happened and since some testing showed how bad CGN might
be, signifying some idea of when this actually "got real" and at the next 12-18
months in terms of major last-mile providers and their rollout plans.

ARIN is looking for the IETF to bless this because they know it's bad, they
know this is a step in the wrong direction.... but the IETF made me do it...

WEG] Well, no. ARIN is looking for the IETF to allocate this because they were
told by the IAB that they couldn't do it on their own, which sort of removes
the teeth from the policy that their membership approved. I think that ARIN
happened to be the first forum that the folks suggesting this (very much not
new) idea found enough support to move it forward. That said, I don't think
that support for the idea is in any way specific to ARIN, it just came up at
the right place and time. I  think that more and more folks (myself included)
are coming to the realization that the need is legitimate, and we sort of need
to hold our noses and do it, and focus on making it less harmful rather than
blocking it on philosophical grounds.

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.