RE: [BEHAVE] Last Call: <draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-06.txt> (Dual Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-Host" (BIH)) to Proposed Standard

2011-09-26 14:38:33
Please note that this statement was included after quite long and heated
discussion in behave WG and because it came clear that IETF recommendation
is against double protocol translation (in favor of dual-stack and
tunneling). It may be that the recommendation is specifically against
*stateful* double translation (although that was not said aloud, if I recall
correctly).

I would assume softwires follows these same IETF guidelines and therefore is
now focusing solely on stateless approaches(?). If the IETF opinion has
changed so that also stateful double translation solutions are now ok for
IETF, then that should perhaps be reflected in this document as well.

Unfortunately, I did not have chance to go to softwires interim, but please
let us know if the discussions there impact also the quoted recommendation.

Best regards,

        Teemu

-----Original Message-----
From: behave-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:behave-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of ext Satoru Matsushima
Sent: 13. syyskuuta 2011 06:51
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: behave(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; Satoru Matsushima
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] Last Call: <draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-06.txt> (Dual
Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-Host" (BIH)) to Proposed Standard

The introduction in the draft says:

  IETF recommends using dual-stack or tunneling based solutions for
   IPv6 transition and specifically recommends against deployments
   utilizing double protocol translation.  Use of BIH together with a
   NAT64 is NOT RECOMMENDED [RFC6180].

This statement makes a strong obstacle when we develop stateless solution
with translation in softwires wg.
I think that it is still remained a room to make decision whether removing
the
statement or remaining it.
The discussion which we'll have in the softwires interim meeting would be
helpful to decide it.

Best regards,
--satoru