RE: GenART LC review of draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3462bis-01

2011-10-03 01:25:06
The main implementations of multipart/report that I know of so far are ARF
(RFC5965), DSN (RFC3464) and MDN (RFC3798).  In the latter two cases, they
repeat the requirement that, at time of generation, a DSN/MDN has to have
multipart/report as the outermost MIME type, which is why it's safe to remove
the restriction here.  ARF specifically doesn't want the restriction, which was
the impetus for this change; ARF wants to be able to send a message that is
multipart/mixed containing many multipart/reports.
According to discussion within the working group, experience suggests most
implementations of RFC3462 have disregarded the restriction anyway,
specifically to allow DSNs and MDNs to be forwarded around (inside message/*
MIME parts).  There has not been any report of interoperability problems as a
result.  This factored into the working group's consensus.
-MSK
From: Roni Even [mailto:ron(_dot_)even(_dot_)tlv(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2011 10:51 PM
To: Murray S. Kucherawy;
draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3462bis(_dot_)all(_at_)tools(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: gen-art(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; 'IETF-Discussion list'
Subject: RE: GenART LC review of draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3462bis-01

Hi,
My mistake about the document type (cut and paste problem)
As for me comment about multipart/report as part of  another multipart MIME
message, what will happen when an implementation based on RFC3462 will receive
the report according this document. Will it be processed, ignored or take other
behavior. Can the sender of the report know if it can send the report in
another multipart MIME message.

Thanks
Roni Even