Re: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt>(TheReasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM)toInformational RFC

2011-10-05 08:53:01
---- Original Message -----
From: "Stewart Bryant" <stbryant(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 2:01 PM

Tom

"I would take issue with OSPF/ISIS and IPv4/IPv6. "

Stewart

See my reply to Loa for the first.

For IPv4/IPv6, we are not talking about two solutions which are concurrent in
any sense of the word.  When the limitations of IPv4 started to loom on the
horizon, work was started on a replacement, and there were several candidates,
of which - thankfully - one was chosen.  The issue that was not given enough
attention was how to migrate the world at large from IPv4 to IPv6.  As has been
clearly described on
the MPLS-TP list, interworking is impossible, the Characteristic Information is
too dissimilar, and with interworking being impossible, migration is naturally
difficult.

So it is an interesting problem, and the coexistence models of s.6 of this I-D
are relevant, but it is a poor fit for having two rival solutions being
developed
concurrently for the same problem.  I use video recorders, and latterly the DVD
replacement, as poster children for this issue - most people can relate to these
examples
without needing an in-depth knowledge of A-law or some such:-)

Tom Petch

Please can you expand a little on this.

Stewart