how to make Apple Mail comply to email standards: or vv?

2011-10-09 10:18:57

I've just received an important email from an important person (a former
IETF chair even) on an IETF mailing list.

The content-type was:

yet the first line of the mail was 491 characters wide.  There is an
expectation that "format=flowed;" is now implied.

Has the YAM WG taken this into consideration?  Will a new standard now
make make format=flowed; standard?

I'm really really really tired of this.  I never expected redmond to do
the right thing, but at least everyone with a clue knew that they did
the wrong thing, and some versions of that system there was even
settings that mostly did the right thing.

Meanwhile a colleague of mine in the non-IT space is complaining that he
can't read email that I send because his Apple Mail program seems to
forceably reformat all text, assuming it is format=flowed;
RFC2646 has been around for 11 years now.

So my request is simple:
   1) can the IETF secretariat please document appropriate settings for
      commodity mail user agents that comply with RFC2464, and configure
      our mailing list software to filter anything that does not comply?
      I'm serious about this. It's embarassing.

   2) alternatively, will the YAM (or another WG) please update the
      standard to say that "format=flowed" is now the default, and
      ideally also give me some idea if "format=fixed" will do anything
      at all with MUAs out there?

] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.