Re: An Antitrust Policy for the IETF

2011-12-03 11:22:45

On Nov 28, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

I don't know what an antitrust policy is...  Could you explain?

Is this something like a conflict of interest policy?  Or is it a policy to
avoid situations where we might be engaging in some sort of collusion?

I'm not Russ, but I'll try.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trusts: "A combination of firms or
corporations for the purpose of reducing competition and controlling prices
throughout a business or an industry."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/antitrust: "Opposing or intended to regulate
business monopolies, such as trusts or cartels, especially in the interest of
promoting competition"

While the EU doesn't use the word "antitrust" or "trust" - that is indeed US -
it promotes competition. I would understand that the US and EU intent is
largely similar, although it is stated from the opposite direction.

In the IETF, I would expect that an antitrust policy would prevent individual
companies or blocks of companies from controlling decisions or processes that
might have the effect of preventing or discriminating against competition.