Re: Last Call: <draft-daboo-webdav-sync-06.txt> (Collection Synchronization for WebDAV) to Proposed Standard

2011-12-15 16:19:07
Cyrus Daboo wrote:

I am not convinced the use of Depth in sync report is violating the definition in 3253. In some ways it is a matter of how you look at the sync. Your viewpoint is that the report asks the collection for its changes - in that case, yes, Depth:0 would apply. The other view is that the report asks each of the child resources to list their change status, in which case Depth:1 and Depth:infinity also makes sense. Which viewpoint is taken probably depends on actual implementation rather than any perceived protocol restrictions.

My $.02:

I look the sync report as a filtered query for properties (e.g. CALDAV:calendar-query), with the filter being "only give me a DAV:response if the resource has been changed/removed since the specified sync-token".

A Depth of 1 or infinity gives us exactly what is specified in the draft.

A Depth of 0 refers to the collection itself, and assuming it exists, the DAV:multistatus response may or may not include a single DAV:response element, depending on whether the server maintains an entity tag on the collection which changes with its membership. In either case, the sync-token is returned per the extended grammar in 6.3.

So, a sync-collection report with a depth of 0 might simply return the following:

<D:multistatus>
  <D:sync-token>http://example.com/ns/sync/1234</D:sync-token>
</D:multistatus>

Does this make sense, or is my logic completely convoluted?

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer