Re: secdir review of draft-nottingham-http-new-status-03

2012-01-24 17:37:04

On 14/01/2012, at 6:59 AM, Stephen Hanna wrote:

I do have a question about the issues raised in Appendix B.
These are all legitimate issues. However, it seems to me
that having status code 511 should help with these. A
browser or non-browser application could recognize status
code 511 as an indication that a captive portal is in use
and avoid capturing favicons, looking for P3P files, and
doing other things that should wait until after the captive
portal is blocking access. When the original website stops
returning 511, such activities could resume. I may be wrong
in suggesting these ideas but if not it would be good to
note them here.

I've added a note linking the issues to 511 more explicitly. Thanks,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/