Re: Variable length internet addresses in TCP/IP: history

2012-02-17 13:12:16
Noel,

On Feb 17, 2012, at 10:32 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

From: Bob Hinden <bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>

the other reason why we went with 128-bit address with a 64/64 split
as the common case and defining IIDs that indicate if they have
global uniqueness. This creates a framework that an ID/locator split
could be implemented. ... we have a framework that would allow it
without having to roll out another version of IP.

Alas, the inclusion of _both halves_ of the IPv6 address in the TCP
checksum means the framework you speak of is basically useless for an
identity/location split.

That's why I described it as a framework.  The TCP pseudo-checksum would have
to change and likely the addition of some sort of authentication at connection
establishment to associate an identifiers with a set of locators.  Not trivial,
but doable.

Bob