Re: IETF Last Calls and Godwin-like rules

2012-02-17 22:27:12
You are assuming that the truth value of statements can be decided by an
impartial, technically-competent observer. In some of the recent discussions,
many of the claims were "X is (not) going to do Y in the future" or "Using X
may cause Y do to something". Unless the observer has a crystal ball, such
statements are hard to evaluate objectively. In that case, predictions made by
a larger number of (reasonably-informed) individuals may well have more weight,
under the not-unreasonable assumption that conventional wisdom is often right.

Henning

On Feb 17, 2012, at 2:14 PM, Pete Resnick wrote:

On 2/17/12 11:59 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
    >  From: Pete Resnick<presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>

    >  We do need to make sure that the folks evaluating consensus know
    >  that "voting doesn't count" and that their decisions are made by
    >  consensus on the technical issues, not the number of people speaking.

Yes, but how do you tell where the consensus is if 97% of the people in the
'room' haven't expressed an opinion?

Condensing part of my unfinished essay to a few sentences: You decide
consensus based on open issues, not on number of voices. If folks have
brought up unanswered objections, there's not consensus yet (rough or
otherwise). If all objections have been answered (even if the answer is
simply a well-reasoned, "We understand that that is an issue, but for these
other reasons, we're not solving that problem", and there is not significant
objection to dismissing the issue), then the presumption is that there is at
least rough consensus.

If the 97% haven't expressed an opinion, you presume that they are not filing
objections and are therefore consenting. Consensus is all about consent, not
expressed agreement. Objection is the only way for there not to be consensus.

The 'me too' posts do serve a purpose in
giving a larger sample size (provided, of course, that they are from
long-time
IETF partipants).

Not to me. I don't see what they add.

pr

Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102