There is one other thing I would add to auth:

Ability for a challenger to identify itself, and for a response to target a challenger.

Currently with chained proxies, it's not possible to reliably pass challenges and creds back to the client. A proxy looking at a request would need to maintain state to know if it challenged the client or not.

Adding a parameter to the challenge and response which identifies the challenger would allow for this.

In fact it would then allow proxy and server auth to use the same mechanism and headers.

Adrien