Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-marf-spf-reporting-08.txt> (SPF Authentication Failure Reporting using the Abuse Report Format) to Proposed Standard

2012-03-01 10:55:20
On Thursday, March 01, 2012 07:53:48 AM SM wrote:
At 06:22 01-03-2012, Scott Kitterman wrote:
IESG.  It includes SPF specifics (although it doesn't require a normative
reference to RFC 4408, so there's no downref issue with it), so I think
that in the context of authentication failure reporting this is already
established
to be in scope.  All the current draft does is provide an optional
mechanism
In the Last Call message issued by the IESG, it is mentioned that:

   "Note that this document has a downward normative reference: This
document makes a normative reference to SPF (RFC4408), which is
Experimental."

Is the downward normative reference in the draft incorrect?

No.  The downref is correct.  Downrefs are allowed, but have to be reviewed
(AIUI).  I was saying that I think the downref is safe and appropriate in this
instance because the parts of RFC 4408 that are relevant to this draft are
stable and it would be very, very, very unlikely for them to change in SPFbis.

The "no downref issue" was related to draft-ietf-marf-authfailure-report-10,
not this one.

Scott K