Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-03-03 10:39:42
� wrote:
On 3 mar 2012, at 16:56, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

Doubtful. If a record needs to have, say, a priority field, or a port number,
given the existence of MX, SRV, and various other RRs it's going to be very
difficult for the designers of said field to argue that that should be done as
ASCII text that has to be parsed out to use.

Agree with you but too many people today "just" program in perl och python where the parsing is just a cast or similar, and they do not understand this argument of yours -- which I once again completely stand behind myself.

The original version of Sender-ID (Caller ID Policy) was an XML version of SPF. In fact, the experimental record still exist:

   nslookup -query=txt _ep.hotmail.com

   "<ep xmlns='http://ms.net/1' testing='true'>
    <indirect>list2._ep.hotmail.com</indirect>

It was introductions like this that raised eyebrows and the need to include a new RR type with the simpler language SPF TXT fallback for SPF and SENDER-ID.

If TXT becomes the acceptable norm, than perhaps the XML format cane easily be reconsidered for a DNS TXT storage with a common XML I/O construct. :(

--
HLS