Re: Last Call: <draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-07.txt> (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol extension for Message Transfer Priorities) to Proposed Standard

2012-03-05 13:41:20
2. I, too, noticed all the lower-case "should" and "may" words.  I
suggest that the best way to handle this is to make the following
change to the RFC 2119 citation text at the beginning of section 2:

NEW
   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119] when they
appear
   in ALL CAPS.  These words also appear in this document in lower case as
plain
   English words, absent their normative meanings.

I don't mind changing that, but ID-nits gives a warning when the text about
keywords is changed and *everybody* likes to complain about that. Please
talk to IESG about whether using a variant of the standard text is
acceptable.

I've used text like this before, and the IESG has never objected to
it.  One advantage with this formulation, which uses the standard 2119
text and *appends* to it, is that idnits likes it and doesn't generate
a warning.

Barry