Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-03-07 17:41:19

In message
<alpine(_dot_)BSF(_dot_)2(_dot_)00(_dot_)1203071719100(_dot_)78429(_at_)joyce(_dot_)lan>,
 "John R. Levine" wr
ites:
Most provisioning systems really don't care about most of the data
they are throwing about.  It may as well be a opaque blob.  ...

Assuming you're not talking about editing zone files with vi, can you give
some specific examples of what you're talking about?

Most provisioning systems ...

Hi.  Could you give some concrete examples of DNS provisioning systems
that let you enter arbitrary RRs?  I've never seen one in the wild, other
than the one I wrote for myself.

Yes, I know that hypothetically they could do all sorts of stuff.  But
they don't.

I well know they don't because they are still stuck in 1980's think
mode.  It's how do we get then out of 1980's think mode and get
them to use some of the tools that were provided to them nearly a
decade ago now.

How do we apply the clue bat to the CTO and the CEO of these
provisioning providers to get them to come out of the dark ages?

ICANN might be able to do some something.  Lots of their accredited
registrar are also in the provisioning business.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org