Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-03.txt> (Deprecating Use of the"X-" Prefix in Application Protocols) to Best Current Practice

2012-03-13 09:17:48
I am surprised at the lack of comment on this I-D on its use of terminology.  I
have seen and learnt from many discussions on this list that have teased out
what concept it is we are really talking about (e.g. identity v identifier) and
this I-D seems somewhat weak in that regard.

Thus the summary talks of
'parameters by prefixing the latter '
while the  introduction changes that to
'the "X-" convention for named parameters in application protocols '
which is then refined to
'only parameters with textual names, not parameters that are expressed as
numbers'
which seems to me a false dichotomy.

The I-D seems to be conflating the ideas of name and value and a few other
things as well.  I know of very few parameters in IETF protocols that do not
have names and cannot recall one where the name is not textual.  The I-D seems
to be assuming that the parameter name and the parameter value and so on are
synonymous, identical, equivalent and perhaps a few other things as well, and
having assumed that, then it is sufficient to say that one or other of these
concepts are textual and it is to these that this I-D applies.  This seems to me
to be rather too loosely worded to become an RFC.

Tom Petch