RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-bmwg-protection-meth-09.txt> (Methodology for benchmarking MPLS protection mechanisms) to Informational RFC

2012-03-13 10:11:58
Dear All,
Please consider my comments for the LC:
*       I'm concerned with the very title of the document, Methodology for
benchmarking MPLS protection mechanisms, even though only MPLS-TE FRR being
considered while LSP end-to-end and segment protection implicitly being kept
out of the scope.
*       I've found several textual inaccuracies related to both MPLS and BFD to
make me wonder if the document was liasioned to MPLS WG.
*       List of acronyms is missing - PLR, OIR, LOS, AIS, etc.
*       Introduction. I think that for "planned link or node failure" MBB is
more efficient and useful than FRR. But MBB is not being mentioned in the
document.
*       Introduction. "A correlated failure is the simultaneous occurrence of
two or more failures." Personally, as correlated events I consider events with
cause-effect relationship.
*       Introduction. Path restoration after FRR discussion does not appear
logical, in the scope of benchmarking document.
*       Document Scope. "Protection from Bi-directional Forwarding Detection
(BFD) is outside the scope of this document." I frankly couldn't decode this
sentense.
*        Document Scope. Several references to Path Restoration as
Re-optimization - doubt that it belongs in the document at all.
*        Sections 6.1.1 through 6.2.4 - what is relevance of listing numbers of
labels in the stack?
*       Peerformance of control plane should be outside of the scope of
benchmarking as it is end-to-end metrics, not explicitly of DUT.

Regards,
        Greg