Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-about-uri-scheme-04.txt> (The "about"URI Scheme) to Proposed Standard

2012-04-19 08:55:16
The I-D points out the impossibility of specifying how to handle the many
different tokens that  a browser may encounter in the about: scheme and then
goes on to tell us what Opera does.

I am uncomfortable with a Standards Track document telling us about the
behaviour of one and only one product, with, the text being in the body of the
I-D, an implication that this text has Normative status (earlier versions of
this I-D also included Mozilla Firefox).

The web browser mentioned is a fine web browser but I think that having just the
one example is inappropriate; other examples should be mentioned (and they all
should be in an Informative appendix).

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "The IESG" <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
To: "IETF-Announce" <ietf-announce(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: <apps-discuss(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:57 PM

The IESG has received a request from the Applications Area Working Group
WG (appsawg) to consider the following document:
- 'The "about" URI Scheme'
  <draft-ietf-appsawg-about-uri-scheme-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2012-05-02. Exceptionally, comments
may be
sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case, please retain the

Abstract

This document specifies the "about" URI scheme, which is widely used
   by web browsers and some other applications to designate access to
   their internal resources, such as settings, application information,
   hidden built-in functionality, and so on.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-about-uri-scheme/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-about-uri-scheme/ballot/