Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets

2012-04-23 05:33:56
On 2012-04-23 09:13, Kireeti Kompella wrote:
On Apr 23, 2012, at 0:05, "EXT - joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com"
<joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com> wrote:

(quoting from RFC 2418)

All working group sessions (including those held outside of the IETF
meetings) shall be reported by making minutes available.  These
minutes should include the agenda for the session, an account of the
discussion including any decisions made, and a list of attendees.

RFCs are not gospel. They can, and, in this instance, should, be changed:
either remove that last item, or stately explicitly that there is no
expectation of privacy at IETF meetings.  (I have a sinking feeling I know
which way that will go.)

I disagree. On the contrary, I think the practice of listing attendees
in the minutes should be enforced. I don't think it's in the IETF's
interests for our meetings to be anything other than completely
transparent to the world.

Why shouldn't getting the list of a meeting's attendees require a subpoena?
The cost argument is bogus; equally, there are those who think going to a
judge for permission to wiretap is a waste of time and money.

Because if the attendee list is public, it becomes much easier for third
parties to detect cases where an IPR disclosure requirement has been
evaded. Also, it reduces the work of responding when a subpoena does
arrive: simply send the URL of the meeting minutes, instead of pulling
archive boxes out of off-site storage and searching them. In practice,
it would likely prevent the subpoena ever being generated.

Put the money you save on NOT installing RFID kit into a fund for handling
subpoenas (only half joking).

Kireeti

PS: Yoav, regarding your remarks on street surveillance, from the IETF Note
Well:

"A participant in any IETF activity acknowledges that written, audio and
video records of meetings may be made and may be available to the public."

Exactly. Your attendance at an IETF session is a matter of public record (as
is your contribution to any IETF mailing list). This is an *open* standards
process, I'm glad to say.

    Brian